What the crazy year 2020 has been and one we all would like to put in the past and move beyond. The year beginning with the COVID-19 pandemic and the air of uncertainty it created in all our lives. Many of us worried about our jobs and finances and I think many of us put off needed repairs and home maintenance projects with a wait and see approach. I know I did. In Canada we did a pretty good job at containing the virus, lockdowns were lifted, jobs returned and most of us felt a sense of ease as we moved through the summer and into autumn. With 2020 now winding down and winter quickly approaching you might be looking at completing projects previously postponed, including roof repair replacing our residential roofing, roof shingles or our business property’s commercial flat roofing. We may also be looking at replacing those skylights or the windows and doors of our home. Although roofing is somewhat seasonal, at Tops Roofing Company we are here for you 5 -6 days a week and 12 months of every year to resolve all your home improvement needs. Here’s a little insight based on my more than forty years in the roofing industry and what you might want to consider and what We at Tops Roofing Company recommend when planning any roof replacement or home improvement project in our Southern Ontario winter months.
Winter Roofing In Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, and area.
Tops Roofing – Winter Roofing Repair Services
All work outdoors during our Canadian winter, including roof shingle replacement, flat roofing, and window and door installations, takes longer. The days are much shorter, temperatures colder and workers proceed at a slower pace when dressed for and working in the cold. The time needed to install your residential roof, commercial roof project or window, and door replacement will most likely double.
Cost / Price – The cost of your exterior roof renovation can significantly increase due to more man-hours required to complete the project. Commercial flat roofing and window and door installations are not as affected.
Completion Time – Due to often unpredictable and inclement weather conditions, a roof replacement project can take several days compared to our typical one-day roof installation in warmer months, March through November.
Quality and Workmanship – Regardless to what you might hear or might be told, at Tops Roofing Company we do not recommend installing sloped roofing or residential roof shingles during cold winter months. Although our workmanship and quality always remains, installing roof shingles has several inherent problems.
Tops Roofing – Roof Shingle Services
- Shingles – when warmed by sun or temperature are soft and pliable and easily installed. Roof shingles when cold or frozen become hard and very brittle which makes them difficult to correctly and efficiently fasten to the roof deck. The impact of nailing may cause breaks, fissures, and crack of the shingles at fastener points.
- Today’s shingles – are predominantly all laminate shingles. Laminate shingles have an irregular surface area and are not entirely flat in their design as were the older asphalt shingles or traditional design three-tab shingles. Thus in cold weather they will never relax or lie flat, making them prone to wind damage or compromising the integrity of the nail fasteners due to wind uplift.
- Self-sealing shingles – need heat from the sun or outside temperature in order to melt the adhesive which causes or affects the roof shingles to be able to self-seal. Your new roof thus will not properly seal itself until spring, again making it prone to wind damage. In new construction and new home builds, roof shingles installed in winter often never seal. Due to the amount of dust and airborne dirt, a fine film can get trapped between the sealing strip which will prevent the shingles from adhering to each other. It’s best to buy a new home that is not built-in winter as there is an entire host of construction issues and problems related to cold weather construction.
- Underlayment – protection for eaves, valleys, etc is a peel and stick product called ice and water shield protection. Once again this product is reliant on heat to fully adhere to surfaces.
- Ridge Capping – Shingle ridge caps have to fold or to bend to cover and effectively seal the roof ridges. The steeper the roof pitch the more they need to bend. As roof shingles are brittle in cold weather, they will often crack and become compromised in their center.
- Roof shingles – roof replacement can be done in cold weather or winter months, however, manufacturers have cold weather instructions and installation specifications which will relate to their warranty. These involve artificially heating of some products and spot sealing areas of the installation. This of course adds time and cost to a project that would not be required in warmer temperatures.
How To Fix Flat Roof In Winter ?
Unlike residential sloped roofing and fiberglass shingles, commercial flat roofing and residential flat roofing can be effectively completed in the winter months. Flat roofing products such as TPO and torch on roof products require heat in the application processes and thus are not affected by cold weather conditions.
Do We Need To Replace The Entire Roofing In Winter? -Recommendation
At Tops Roofing Company we are available for minor repair and waterproofing 24/7, however, we strongly recommend temporary repair and complete removal and new roof installation be completed in warmer weather months unless entirely impossible. At Tops Roofing Company we suggest a full inspection and quotation for replacing your residential roofing and roof shingles. We can most often affect any temporary repairs and waterproofing required to tide you through the winter months and schedule your spring installation. In some extreme situations, the roofing may be too far gone to effectively waterproof and to see you through until spring. In such cases, we will recommend immediate replacement and follow all cold-weather installation procedures.