TEN SIGNS THAT YOU MIGHT NEED A NEW ROOF
1. Age. If your roof is more than 12 years old. Pre 2008, shingles were all made the same from recycled wood and paper and thus were termed, organic mat shingles. All manufacturers produced organic mat shingles and all 20-30 year products failed, on average between 12 -15 years. If your roof is pre 2008, chances are very good you will need a new shingled roof. Consult your manufacturers warranty, have a roofing professional inspect, take photos and shingle samples and assist you in filing a warranty claim.
2. De-Granulation. This is the loss of the protective coloured stone coating on the side of your shingles. Severe granule loss is the best indicator that your needs to be replaced. If your eaves roughing is chocked full of granules, your roof shingles are most likely finished and should be replaced.
3. Curling. Shingles that are not lying flat and are curling, lifting, clawing or buckling. As shingles age, the bitumen used to create its waterproofing capability begin to dry and to shrink. This in turn causes lifting of the roofing shingles and in effect, their ability to provide effective waterproofing
4. Missing Shingles. When shingles dry and begin to shrink with age, they become very brittle and are prone to wind damage. If you are continually replacing missing shingles, it’s a very good indicator that your roof shingles need replacing. Have Tops Roofing Company install a new 50 year fiberglass laminate shingles.
5. Stack Flashing. Plumbing stack flashing com in two types. A neoprene rubber or a hard plastic flashing. Anything exposed to the sun, especially rubbers and plastic, will dry and deteriorate over time as does any caulking compounds used to seal them. These are typically replaced with any new roofing, thus these are compromised you may be due for a complete re-roofing. Tops Roofing Company offers roof inspections and roofing repair if you are really not sure.
6. Roof Vents. Roof vents come in three types, plastic, aluminum and metal.Plastic Stack flashing – Compromised Roof vents come in three types, plastic, aluminum and metal.Plastic vents are prone to deterioration from ultra violet sunlight. Damaged or cracked roof vents may be an indicator that its time to replace either the vents or those old roof shingles.
7. Flashings. Roof flashings waterproof the roof at wall or chimney termination points. Metal roof flashing are not always replaced when new shingles or new roofing is installed. Peeling paint and deteriorated caulking at roof flashings are good signs that you may need a new roof or at minimum, new pre finished coloured steel flashings installed. Have Tops Roofing Company inspect and make recommendations as to repair or replace shingle roofing or just replace the flashings.
8. Roof Structure. Major dips and deflections in the underlying roof structure and plywood substrate are an indication of one or more issues that require immediate attention. They indicate broken roof truss or rafters, rotten plywood, attic issues with insulation, ventilation and excessive moisture containment and mould. Tops Roofing can provide you a detailed assessment of all related areas of concern.
9. Roof Leaks. Any leaks through the roofing are a major concern and a red flag that may be bigger issues going on overhead. Roof leaks can be an indicator that a new roof may be due or just a simple roof repair is required. Call Tops Roofing company for all your roofing assessment, repair and replace options.
10. Neighbours. You really can’t remember the last time the shingle roof was replaced or perhaps you the last roof was installed by the builder or the previous owner. A good indication its time to replace your roof before roof leaks, roof repairs or roof damage occurs, is your neighbours. If you notice your neighbours or roofing being replaced in your neighbourhood, it’s probably time you replaced your roof shingles also. Talk to your neighbours and see if they wish to replace their roofing as well, then call Tops Roofing Company for your free, no obligation roofing quote and along with your neighbours, receive our multi home discount.